You cannot deny the allure of a well-cooked Italian dish. Don’t believe us? Try this Beef Ragu recipe! Crafted using browned chuck roast, juicy, peeled tomatoes, red wine, and plenty of Italian seasonings, you’ll be proud to add this recipe to your growing collection of favorites.
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 lb. chuck roast, cut into 2" cubes
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
• 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
• 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
• 2 tbsp. tomato paste
• 1/4 c. red wine
• 1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
• 1/4 c. water
• 3 sprigs thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
• Parmesan, for serving
• Cooked pasta or polenta of your choice
1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Season chuck roast with salt and pepper and sear, in batches if needed, until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. Remove into a large bowl.
2. Heat remaining oil, still over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 6 minutes. Add garlic, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
3. Add tomato paste and cook until it is darkened in color, 1 to 2 minutes more. Deglaze the pot with wine, scraping any brown bits up at the bottom of your pot with a wooden spoon.
4. Add whole peeled tomatoes, water, thyme, bay leaf, and seared pot roast and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat easily shreds, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
5. Use a wooden spoon to break up tomatoes and meat, then serve over your favorite pasta or polenta. Top with parmesan and parsley before serving.
Shake up your household menu – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of The Retreat at 2818 Apartments in Bryan, Texas.